Friday, November 25, 2005

For the record

Bill Richardson's admission that he previously lied about once being drafted by a Major League Baseball team has made me decide to come clean about my own athletic record. Like the New Mexico governor, I also never was drafted by a professional baseball team. I must also go further and acknowledge that I never played on a college team, nor did I play any organized sports in high school. Or junior high.

I did, however, play three years of Little League baseball. I stopped playing when I received a letter from the commissioner of Major League Baseball and a committee of Hall of Fame members pleading that I no longer pick up a bat and glove, lest I continue to desecrate the national pastime. Fearing that their missive would leave me undeterred, they also filed a restraining order that prevented me from stepping within 500 feet of any baseball diamond.

There. Now I feel better.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark Rauterkus said...

When I played baseball, and I will stand by this memory until the day I die, I had a feat that is seldom repeated.

I made all three outs in one half inning while our team was at bat.

No joke.

Thanks for coming clean in your testimony.

10:31 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

My favorite memory was of the lone home run I hit when I played T-ball. I was about 7 years old. As you can imagine, I was incredibly excited, and I ran around the bases as fast as I could.

Unfortunately, the kid who was on first base when I was at bat was one of the few kids on the team worse than I was, and inexplicably, he ran to second base and stopped there. In my exuberance, I ran right past him, which meant that I was called out. My coaches, to their credit, consoled me and heralded my great hit rather than my mistake. For my part, I've yet to forgive that kid, wherever he is.

8:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home