Thursday, October 14, 2004

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos

I'm seriously considering voting for Betsy Summers, the Libertarian candidate for U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania. I share many views with Libertarians (not all; otherwise, I wouldn't be a Democrat) and I'm not thrilled with either of the major party candidates. Well, I take that back--I don't know much about Democrat Joe Hoeffel, but I don't think he is going to win, and I'm at a loss as to why he would run such a lackluster campaign if he were serious about beating Specter. (I've read that some people think he is merely trying to boost his name recognition in anticipation of a run against Santorum in '06.) Specter, meanwhile, has based his re-election bid solely on how much pork he has brought home to Pennsylvania. It is shameless and sickening.

Plus, I like the idea of supporting third-party candidates, whose voices are consistently shut out of American political discourse. Our winner-take-all electoral process favors a two-party system, but the GOP and the Democrats have extended their natural advantage by erecting barriers to ballot access, excluding third-party candidates from the presidential debates and gerrymandering congressional districts to favor one party or another in perpituity. It would seem that the public would be better served by being exposed to more ideas, not fewer. (The Constitution Party also has a candidate on the ballot for the Senate in Pa.)

4 Comments:

Blogger djhlights said...

Hoeffel got no help from the DSCC after Toomey was beaten by Specter, which is why is name recognition was zilch over here.

I was actually disappointed that Charlie Chrystle dropped out of the Dem primary because being the multi-millionaire he was willing to spend his own funds and may have had a better chance against Specter.

The state dems were hoping that Toomey would win and give the dems a fighting chance. Just getting Hoeffel to run was a challenge considering how late he got in the game.

10:27 PM

 
Blogger fester said...

From my understanding of the rumor mill, the favored Democratic candidate in 2006 is Betty Hafer, the former Republican treasurer. But that is a relatively old rumor. But I don't think that Hoeffl's strategy to up his name recognition and "gravitas" (my word,not yours) is working if he loses 55-40 to Specter. He will have been marked as a loser in the public eye. If he was to lose a 48-45 race, then I can see this as a decent springboard for 2006, but not a blowout.

10:56 AM

 
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

You mean Barbara Hafer? I've heard that as well. (For the record, Hoeffl has denied the 2006 rumor, and I don't find it all that plausible either.) She might be a strong candidate, but she's also a divisive figure and I don't know how strong a candidate she would make against Santorum. On the other hand, despite running a lackluster campaign, Ron Klink ended up giving Santorum a pretty good run for his money in 2000. A lot will hinge on what happens the next two years, and this November.

11:03 AM

 
Blogger fester said...

Yes, Barbara, not Betty... (note to self, don't comment before coffee)...

4:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home