Saturday, September 03, 2005

A gas problem

I'm a little confused over the gasoline price-gouging controversy. What are the laws here? I know that oil companies can't conspire with one another to keep prices high, but what stops an individual gas station or supplier from taking advantage of the situation and trying to make a few extra bucks? Would you call the attorney general if Gap doubled the price of a pair of jeans tomorrow?

I know, I know, gasoline is different; it's a necessity. Well, it's such a necessity because we've made it so. I hate to get all James Kunstler on you, but we once again are reaping the whirlwind of poor development policies, of bad choices about where to live and how to organize our communities. (I'm not even discussing our abyssmal energy policies.) Will we finally be chastened and begin creating walkable, high-density communities, with adequate public transit, or when prices fall back to some reasonable level, will we breathe a sigh of relief and throw up another subdivision? I fear I already know the answer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amos_thePokerCat said...

Well, the good news, at least to the big "L" Libertarian in me, is this state did something right for once. According to the KDKA web article, there are no price gouging laws in PA. Unfortunately, about half the states have these arbitrary prices laws.

Walkable, high-density communities, with adequate public transit? Yuck. Sounds like one of the levels of Dante's Inferno.

Since you are a movie geek, the name for the ticky tacky suburb in the new Showtime series, "Weeds", is Agrestic.

10:12 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

But at the other end of the price spectrum, Pa. does have a law preventing retailers from selling gasoline below cost. It hasn't stopped Giant Eagle's GetGo promotions, however.

I don't get Showtime, unfortunately, because that show sounds pretty good. On the other hand, even I am growing weary of popular culture pointing out the hypocrisy and seem underbelly of suburbia.

8:46 AM

 
Blogger Amos_thePokerCat said...

If PA did things right just 50% of the time, we would be way ahead of the game.

Ya, there is that terminate hipness of popular culture, but it is just 1/2 hour long. I don't get Showtime, but I do have bit torrent. It is really the series' intro title sequence that will either amuse you, or leave you in a frothy tantrum.

10:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home