Thursday, January 12, 2006

I don't mean to get off on a rant here, but...*

I'm pretty sick of the Baby Boomers. Not any individual Baby Boomers, mind you, nor even Baby Boomers as a group. I'm merely sick of what appears to be a resurgent obsession with this oversized cohort by the media. (A rather naricissistic fixation, when you consider that Boomers no doubt occupy positions of influence in the mainstream media.) This evening, ABC's World News Tonight included a story about clothing and cosmetics manufacturers who are making products to help Baby Boomers look good without trying to look young. I'm thrilled that Baby Boomers are trying to age gracefully, but seriously, who cares?

For awhile, our youth-obsessed culture seemed to have finally grown sick of this self-absorbed generation. But since the oldest of the Baby Boomers are turning 60 this year, once again we appear to be awash in stories about them. And you know what's worse? We'll likely have to endure these stories, at least on occassion, for at least another 30 years. The Baby Boomers turn 70. The Baby Boomers turn 80. The Baby Boomers are dead.

Enough already. Just because your parents shagged like rabbits, bequeathing you demographic dominance over all future generations, doesn't mean the world revolves around you. It's bad enough you are going to bankrupt Social Security and Medicaire long before anyone of my age gets to retire. Must we also be tortured with every excruciating detail of your life? Must every milestone you achieve be treated as an historic event on par with the invention of the internal combustion engine? I hope you live long, happy, healthy lives. I just don't want to hear about them.

Of course, that's my opinion. I could be wrong. I want to hear what you think, America.


*Apologies to Dennis Miller.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Pasquarello said...

i just turned 54 yesterday. i'm sick of it more than you are, believe me. when i turned 25 there was a cover girl commercial running for a liquid foundation "for skin over 25!"
i'm still hearing the lyrics,"i hope i die before i get old!" running through my head for about a week BEFORE each birthday. i'm sick of hearing the songs i came of age with, the songs that(when one is young)meant more than just songs, used to sell everything from over priced cars to "old people's things" ala my parents(in my still clinging to bell bottoms and patchuli memories!!!)
the commerical that's out now, forget what it's for, but has old films of happy dancing hippies and says some crap about how we were going to change the world, god...

as to social security, nope, blame the government and advancements in medicine that we aren't dropping at the age of 62 anymore, well, not all of us anyway, i have developed the terrifying habit of my parents and check the obits every morning.
do i want to look good, hell yes, do i want to feel obligated to buy stuff from every cosmetic firm or check out every plastic surgeon in this country, no, no, no! i have enough problems and obligations and guilts over my youth and the things we as a generation did wrong(we did do some things right, you must admit)and you will blush when your generation comes to my stage in life and start to look back because you will have things you will be proud of and things that make you cringe and when they try to sell you fiber therapies or depends with the black eyed peas playing in the backround, don't say you weren't warned. just my rant. ; )

10:17 AM

 
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

A. It was meant to be funny. If you failed to see the humor, I apologize, not because I offended you but because few things are more embarrassing than a joke that falls flat.

B. I suspect there are quite a few Baby Boomers blogging, although certainly, it probably is a demographic that skews younger. And perhaps bloggers are self-absorbed. But I'm a writer, and this is a way to keep my skills nimble and, yes, draw attention to what I have to say.

C. Yes, much of what I write here is in reaction to what I read. In large part, that's the nature of the medium. I do this in my spare time, so there are limits to what I can accomplish.

D. If you are dissatisfied, please contact our customer relations department for a full refund.

6:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home