Saturday, June 24, 2006

"He told me you killed him"

A couple of nights ago, my wife and I were watching our "Revenge of the Sith" DVD, which includes a short feature about the fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. Unlike my wife, I am old enough to have seen "The Empire Strikes Back" during its original theatrical release and remember how stunning it was to learn that Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker's father. (Not to mention that the film ended without the issue being resolved.)

So my question to you, dear readers, is how does that revelation stack up to other film surprises? Was it more or less shocking than learning Bruce Willis was really dead? Or that Kevin Costner was a Russian Spy? Or that she was a man? I anxiously await your responses.

3 Comments:

Blogger The T-Dude said...

For me, I think the shock value of the twist in Empire was directly related to my age. I was fairly young still and had grown up with Darth Vader as the ultimate villian, the picture of evil for my generation, that's what gave it the impact that I think you are talking about.

8:51 AM

 
Blogger Mark Rauterkus said...

I'll ask my kids about your Star Wars question. But for me, being in a theater, within a movie, the biggest shocker of my life was "The Sting." I remember being in the cinema with some friends and was just blown away.... OMG. That is a high as far as "intra-movie" suprises for me.

10:12 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

Interesting choice. I greatly enjoyed "The Sting" but I don't recall being terribly surprised by the various twists.

8:25 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home