Sunday, August 20, 2006

That's a low blow

What's surprising about this article is not that yet another newspaper sent a reporter to write a stranger-in-a-strange-land article about spending time in a rival sports team's hometown, but that it contains a reference to"Joe Versus the Volcano":

Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck warned me about Pittsburgh. He filmed a soup commercial in Pittsburgh this summer, said it reminded him of the first five minutes of "Joe Versus The Volcano."

In case you've never seen the movie, that is not a compliment.

(Thanks to Pittsblog.)

6 Comments:

Blogger Dead Tree Eats Poop said...

JP, I now count three references to low-to-middle brow 80s comedies, including Spinal Tap, When Harry Met Sally and now, alas, Joe and the Volcano.

What's next, A Weekend with Bernie?

An intervention might be in order.

4:47 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

Dear Not Carl,

I appreciate your concern. However, in the third case, I was merely pointing out the reference made by another. (Though in doing so I tacitly admitted having viewed "Joe Versus the Volcano"--though never in its entirety.)

8:21 PM

 
Blogger Sean McDaniel said...

spinal tap...low brow...please, does everything high brow have to reek of noel coward?

9:24 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

Yeah, I let the slight to "Spinal Tap" go, but I don't consider it low brow, either. Of course, what do I know? I liked "The Da Vinci Code". (The book; I haven't seen the movie.)

8:39 AM

 
Blogger Dead Tree Eats Poop said...

I'm counting Spinal Tap as "middle brow," and largely because the other efforts by the gang that did that one turned out to be not so interesting ("Big Wind," et al).

"Joe" is as low-brow as it gets.

I might have mentioned "Good Morning, Vietnam," but I never was so charitable as to consider it a comedy.

And I'm not 'Carl.' I don't get that.

10:09 AM

 
Blogger Sean McDaniel said...

i got suckered by the da vinci code hype and finally read the book last christmas and hated it. the movie, however, was decent. actually, i wished i had watched the movie and never picked up the book.

2:01 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home