Saturday, May 19, 2007

There is no pain you are receding

"Sopranos" fan Brian Williams (oh, yeah, he's also the NBC Nightly News anchor) quotes a friend who called listening to Van Morrison's recording of "Comfortably Numb"--featured in this week's episode--"like being in church." (Thanks to Slate, where Tim Noah notes the similar themes played out on "The Sopranos" and in "The Wall".)

I know the feeling. I'm embarrassed to admit I'd never heard that version until I watched a trailer for "The Departed." Scorcese's use of the song in that film was damn near transcendent. And of course, it set the perfect tone for "The Sopranos" this week.

Three episodes left, my friends. Three episodes.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean McDaniel said...

hmmm..my first comment must've got lost on the dark side of the moon.

oh well, the van version in departed made sense. an irish crooner singing in a movie about the irish mob.

but i think it was put to much better use in the sopranos.

4:18 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

Hey, my rundown of last night's episode will be up tomorrow.

8:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home