Tuesday, February 20, 2007

What about Wedge?

HBO has been airing the original "Star Wars" films lately, and even though I've seen them hundreds of times and own the DVDs, I can't help but watch them every time they are on. So this afternoon, I'm watching the end of Episode IV, when Princess Leia gives Luke, Han Solo and Chewbacca medals for blowing up the Death Star, and I'm thinking, do Han Solo and Chewbacca really deserve those medals? I mean, they just swooped in after most of the Imperial fighters were either destroyed or had broken off their attack, fired a couple of shots at Darth Vader and his wingman, and then watched Luke fire the money shot. What about all those Rebel fighters who were there from the beginning? I mean, poor Wedge saved Luke's life during the battle, and was there almost to the end. Didn't he rate a medal? Some kind of commendation? I mean, based on his brief appearance in "Return of the Jedi", I'm guessing he never even received a promotion.

And while we are on the subject, wasn't the Rebel Alliance a bit loose in handing out ranks? OK, I can buy Han Solo as a general. Maybe. But Lando Calrissian? I mean, the guy gets a commission months (I think it was months. It's never clear how much time passes between each film.) after he turned Han Solo over to Darth Vader. I mean, hello?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Disgruntled Tool-Room Clerk said...

Dude, I ... I don't even know you any more.

9:13 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

Oh, sure, like you've never wondered how Lando Calrissian became a general in the Rebel Alliance. Yeah, I'm the freak because I don't think it's fair that Wedge didn't get a medal.

7:51 PM

 
Blogger Disgruntled Tool-Room Clerk said...

How can you worry about trivial stuff like "Star Wars" when there's important issues to deal with --- like the continued failure of the Bajorans to join the Federation?

11:03 PM

 
Blogger Jonathan Potts said...

I don't know what is worse--that you made that reference or that I understand it.

2:50 PM

 
Blogger Ajay said...

Lando's move at the battle of tanaab earned him his rank of general

11:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home